Ask Dr. Z

Ask Dr. Z Knowledge Base houses over 7,000 coding questions and answers dating back to 2010.

Ask Dr. Z Disclaimer

Suprapubic Catheter exchange when tube has fell out

Date: May 28, 2021


What do we report for the hospital for the placement of a suprapubic catheter through an existing tract? Patient came in due to dislodged suprapubic catheter, and under fluoro the physician injected contrast to confirm the fistula and just used a catheter and wire to navigate through the existing tract back into the bladder. He then was able to place a new drainage tube into the bladder. My thoughts are to report just a simple catheter exchange (51705 and 75984), but I am not sure since the catheter was not actually still in the patient and I don't think a new insertion (51102) would be appropriate either.

Sign up for a membership to view the answer to this question.

Need to ask Dr.Z?

Don't see the answer you're looking for in the knowledge base? No problem. You can ask Dr. Z directly!
Ask Dr. Z a question now!